View from upstream on south bank looking towards the City.
This bridge is named after the Franciscan Black Friars who had their monastery moved to a site near the north side in 1274. The first bridge on this site was built in the 1760s after a competition to find the best design, this was demolished in 1860 after being undermined by pollution from the Fleet River which joins the Thames nearby. The current bridge was opened in 1869 by Queen Victoria who drove over it. The supporting granite piers are decorated with birds and flowers to honour St Francis, on the up-stream side are plants and fresh-water birds & the downstream side has marine plants and sea-birds.