No 204. Tadpole Bridge

This simple arch stone bridge carries the road from Bampton in the north to Buckland in the south.

The first mention of a bridge on this site is in 1784 but the the present bridge was built in 1802.

Buckland House to the south of the river is the family seat of the Throckmorton family and is an imposing building of 1757 built by John Ward.

The river here is very meandering as it makes its slow way down to Oxford and is popular with small boaters as larger craft are unable to pass under Osney Bridge.






BACK