No 206. Radcot Bridge

This bridge was built in 1787 to cross an artificial cut which was dug to ease navigation when the original bridge (still standing) became too difficult to negotiate.   This crossing saw action during the English Civil War when there was a skirmish between Cromwell’s troops and the royalists led by Prince Rupert.   The local Taynton stone used to build the bridge was also used to help re-build London after the Great Fire of 1666 and would have been floated down to the City on a fleet of barges.   

This must have been quite dangerous as there were only flash locks in existence at that time, although many fewer bridges to negotiate!






BACK