No 209. St. John’s Bridge

This bridge, height 13’10” , is close to St John’s Lock which is the first lock on the Thames.   The original single arched bridge on this site was built in 1229 by the monks from the nearby Priory of St John the Baptist, and has been rebuilt several times since to the same design.   The current model dates from 1886 and due to its small ‘hole’ is very difficult to navigate for large craft.   On the north side of the river is the ‘Trout Inn’ which dates from the 13th century and is built in a traditional style of local Cotswold stone.   The small river Leach joins the Thames at this point




BACK