Viewed from downstream on the north embankment.
The original bridge on this site was built in 1811 and named Strand Bridge. It was renamed by the Prince Regent to commemorate the second anniversary of the Duke of Wellington’s famous victory. The present bridge was constructed during WWII chiefly by women and was nicknamed ‘the ladies bridge’. It is the longest bridge in London and is noted for its particularly fine views both up and down stream. On the south side is the South Bank Arts complex which includes the Royal Festival Hall and National Theatre among other venues which were constructed on the site of the Festival of Britain which was held in 1952.