As seen from Waterloo Bridge looking upstream.
This bridge was originally built by Isambard Kingdom Brunel in 1841 as a suspension bridge to provide a pedestrian crossing of the Thames & was longer than Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol which Brunel had recently designed. The bridge was bought by the South Eastern Railway in 1869 and converted to a lattice beam design to carry trains & pedestrians. It remained substantially unchanged until 2000 when a £50m project was started to provide additional pedestrian access. Two multispan footbridges have been constructed, each 320m long and 4.7m wide connecting the South Bank to the Surrey Pier (Brunel’s original now restored). The new bridges provide a spectacular view of London’s riverside especially at night.