Looking downstream from the South Bank towards Westminster.
This bridge is approached by Horseferry Road and as the name indicates there was a rather dangerous ferry on this site for many centuries. It was under the control of the Archbishop of Canterbury whose London residence (Lambeth Palace) stands on the south bank of the river. The Archbishop finally surrendered his rights in 1750 after receiving compensation and Lambeth Bridge was eventually opened in 1862 as a suspension bridge. After many repairs and renovations the present bridge was constructed with five spans and polished granite facings. It was designed by George Humphreys and opened in 1929.