View from upstream on the north bank.
The original bridge on this site was planned as part of a direct route from Hyde Park Corner to Greenwich and opened in 1816. When this began to deteriorate a temporary wooden bridge was used during construction of the present bridge, this was opened in 1906 by the Prince of Wales. It is decorated with sculptures representing Arts & Sciences. Downstream are Local Government, Education, Fine Arts and Astronomy while upstream are Agriculture, Architecture, Engineering and Pottery. This bridge was also the first in London to carry trams.