No 116. Grosvenor Rail Bridge

Looking upstream from the North Bank.

This was the first railway bridge to cross the Thames and was built for the London Brighton and South Coast Railway by John Fowler and opened in 1860 with piers to line through with Chelsea bridge in order to assist navigation.   It enabled trains to cross into Victoria Station as they still do today.   It has been widened many times to allow extra track to be laid and in the most recent refurbishment in 1963-67 it was gradually replaced and now in fact consists of 10 separate bridges each holding one line of track.

BACK