Looking downstream from the South Bank at low tide.
This bridge was constructed on the orders of Parliament in 1864 but due to various delays did not open until 1873. It is 710 ft long and was originally a cantilever designed by Roland Mason Ordish and was significantly modernised by Sir Joseph Bazalgette in 1884.
Following World War II it was proposed that the bridge be demolished but, following a high profile local protest from residents (including Sir John Betjeman) it was reprieved and re-opened in 1973 with a weight limit of 2 tons which is still in force. It is the only Central London bridge never to have been replaced.