No 121. Wandsworth Bridge

View from the Surrey bank looking downstream.

The first bridge on this site was opened in 1873 but in 1935 London County Council gave permission for the current bridge to be constructed to a design by Sir Pierson Frank and it opened in 1940.  The outlet of the river Wandle, after which Wandsworth is named, is a short way upstream from the bridge.   Although this area is not well known to tourists the river Wandle was used by William Morris to run a mill for production of his famous wall-paper and fabrics during the Arts & Crafts period.

BACK