No 122. Fulham Rail Bridge

In 1880 a line was built by the London & South Western Railway as far as the north end of the present bridge.   This was extended in 1889 by the current structure designed by William Jacomb to enable trains to run to Wimbledon.   It is constructed of wrought iron as an eight span girder bridge, and currently carries the District Underground line.   It is now chiefly used by commuters and when it was built the area around Fulham was still mostly countryside and was popular with day trippers from other parts of London who enjoyed the fresh air and the many boat trips available.

BACK