No 126. Chiswick Bridge

View from the Surrey bank at Mortlake Brewery.

This is one of the newer crossing points of the Thames and was opened by the Prince of Wales (EdwardVIII) in 1933.   It is constructed of ferro-concrete and clad in Portland Stone and marks the finish of the University Boat Race which is held each spring. The finishing post is illustrated outside the boat-house on the opposite(north) bank.   The south side of the bridge is dominated by a large and popular brewery.

BACK