Viewed from downstream on the walkway at Butlers Wharf.
This bridge was built to improve access to the City in 1894. It has a double drawbridge(bascules) to enable tall ships to pass into the Port of London and until 1976 the machinery was still steam-driven The high-level walkways were built as a result of the Act of Parliament giving permission for the construction of the bridge specifying that there should be access to the public at all times. When the bridge was first built it needed to open approximately 22 times a day but this is now reduced to about once or twice a day and of course on special occasions.
The original design was by Sir Horace Jones assisted among others by Isambard Kingdom Brunel.