No 131. Richmond Rail Bridge

This cast iron rail bridge designed by Joseph Locke in 1846 carried a new line to connect Richmond with Waterloo via Clapham Junction.   Three 100ft spans take the line across the river and it is then carries on by 7 brick arches across the Old Deer Park.   In 1906 the bridge was replaced with steel following concerns over the strength of the original cast iron, it is now split in two with each separate bridge carrying one line.

BACK