View from towpath upstream on Hampton Court side.
The first bridge on this site was constructed of wood in 1219. This was renewed many times before the construction of the current stone bridge designed by Edward Lapidge which was opened in 1828 by the Duchess of Clarence. Although maintaining the original design the bridge has been widened several times to accommodate increased traffic to this very popular town. The most recent improvements were carried out in 2000 when a ‘mirror image’ bridge was constructed alongside the original and opened on 29 June 2001 by HRH The Duke of Kent.