This is one of a pair of bridges built in 1935 when the ‘Desborough Cut’ was excavated. The cut allowed heavy commercial river traffic the bypass the long bend past Shepperton as it had become very shallow and difficult to navigate. It is a rather uninteresting stone and steel construction allowing access to the Water Works, sports clubs and public open space on what has now become Desborough Island. The open area downstream known as Cowey Sale is claimed to be a crossing point used by Julius Caesar in AD 54. This theory appears to be borne out by local archaeological discoveries!!