Looking upstream from the Surrey side.
This is one of two bridges built in 1935 when the Desborough Cut was dug out. This was done in order to ease the passage of craft when the ‘loop’ of the Thames through Shepperton became too shallow to allow river traffic to navigate easily through this section. The bridge allows access for road traffic to the Water Works and sporting facilities situated on Desborough Island. It is named after to Rt Hon Lord Desborough who was a local philanthropist and was opened by him on 10 July 1935.
View from the bridge during the 2014 floods