Looking upstream from the southern bank towards Staines town.
The first recorded bridge at Staines was built in 1222. As King John signed the Magna Carta at nearby Runnymede in 1215 he obviously had no need to cross the river on his way from Windsor! A short way upstream from the bridge is the ‘London Stone’ which marked the original limit of the City of London’s jurisdiction over the river. After several unsuccessful attempts at building an iron bridge, the existing bridge was designed by Sir John Rennie and opened by William IV in 1832 although it was widened in the late 20th century.