No 149. Albert Bridge Windsor

This bridge crosses the river at the edge of ‘Home Park’ which is part of the Windsor Castle estate and therefore the Queen’s back garden.   Opened in 1851 it was built as part of a re-organisation of the road and rail access to Windsor on the orders of the Windsor Improvement Act of 1840.   This was to enable the public to travel in and out of Windsor without using the Royal grounds and increased security for the Royal Family.   There are seating areas on the bridge which afford interesting views of the river and its busy traffic.


BACK