View from upstream on the north bank looking south.
The first record of a bridge on this site is about AD984 but excavations suggest that there was an active crossing in Roman times. The first stone bridge was built in 1176 and had 20 arches & in time came to support rows of houses and shops. Following many fires and in particular the Great Fire of 1666 it gradually deteriorated and was replaced by a stone bridge opened by King William & Queen Adelaide in 1831. In the mid 20th century the bridge became too narrow to cope with the level of traffic and was replaced by the current model in 1973. All Freemen of the City of London have the ancient right to drive a flock of sheep over London Bridge into the City- this tradition is still occasionally enacted.