The original bridge on this site was constructed to replace a ferry in 1706 on the orders of Queen Anne and was called Datchet Bridge. In 1840 the Windsor Improvement Act provided for changes in road and rail access to the town which necessitated two new bridges over the Thames. This bridge was then remodelled and named after Queen Victoria, the other bridge is a short way downstream and was naturally named after her consort Prince Albert. These changes were part funded by the Great Western Railway and the Windsor Staines & Richmond Railway who also contributed to its upkeep for many years. The long distance Thames Path passes under the bridge and although access to Home Park is restricted this stretch is very interesting to walk along. The Centre of the bridge holds a commemorative panel to Queen Victoria.