No 106. Cannon Street rail Bridge

The original five arched bridge was opened in 1866 having been designed, together with the station and approaches, by Sir John Hawkshaw for the South Eastern Railway.   The bridge comprised five sets of tracks and two footpaths with cast iron parapets, the downstream path being reserved for railway employees and the upstream path was for the public albeit subject to a toll.   The bridge was strengthened and rebuilt considerably before being replaced by the current structure in 1981.

BACK

2016 painted in Fauvist style