The first mention of a bridge on this site is in 1309 and there have no doubt been several since that time. This striking suspension bridge was built of iron in 1832 by William Clark and is similar to his design for Hammersmith Bridge. It was extensively refurbished in 1965 when the iron was replaced by steel and provides a crossing from Bisham with its historic abbey to the market town of Marlow. The poet Percy Shelley and his sister Mary had a house in the town for some time and Mary wrote ‘Frankenstein’ whilst living here. The town also has connections with T S Eliot and the Royal Military Academy was situated here until it moved to Sandhurst in 1812. The famous ‘Compleat Angler’ is close to the bridge and is of course very popular with fishermen.