No 165. Temple Footbridge

This bridge, upstream from Temple Lock, was built as part of the Thames Path was opened by Lord Hesketh on 24 May 1989.   There was previously a ferry on this site but it was closed some years before the bridge was constructed.   The many ‘Temple’ names in this area date from the Middle Ages when the land was owned by the Knights Templar who had a  base at Bisham Abbey nearby.   The large village of Hurley is close to this bridge and is a very ancient settlement, its Priory Church of St Mary having been consecrated in 1086 by Osmund the Good, Bishop of Sarum.

BACK