No 107. Southwark Bridge

Viewed from the downstream embankment looking across to the City.

This bridge was built in 1921 to a design by Sir Ernest George to replace a previous cast-iron bridge built by John Rennie.   It has 5 spans which are designed so that the piers line up with those of Blackfriars & London bridges to ease the passage of river traffic.

Southwark itself which is situated on the south side of the bridge is a part of London which was well-known to William Shakespeare and his friends and was known as a rough area of theatres ‘stews’ and other notorious entertainments.


BACK

Fauvist version of this bridge Oil on canvas 30” x 24”