No 171. Reading Bridge









This elegant bridge has a headroom of 17’8” and was built in 1923 to replace a footbridge which had been on this site since 1603.   Although this part of Reading has many modern office blocks, the town itself has ancient roots and is mentioned in the Domesday Book as ‘Reddinges’.   The area is also known to have been used in the Stone Age and appears from archaeological evidence to have been in more or less continuous use ever since.   The riverside at Reading is quite open and this is due to the fact that the main industrial development took place around the river Kennet which enters the Thames below the bridge.

BACK