View under the bridge towards the north bank.
This is one of only two toll bridges left on the Thames (the other is Swinford) and the fee at the moment is 10p. The first bridge on this site was made of wood and dated from 1792, and the present cast iron bridge was erected in the late 19th century. The town of Whitchurch is on the north side of the river and is faced by Pangbourne on the south. Kennet Grahame the author of ‘Wind in the Willows’ lived in this area for many years before his death in 1932 and no doubt drew on his experiences of the river in his writing.