No 175. Goring Bridge

This rustic style bridge was built in 1923 at a point on the river which was once a Roman crossing for the Icknield Way, and as the Ridgeway also crosses here it has no doubt been in use since pre-historic times.   The old water-mill next to the bridge was once painted by the famous artist J M W Turner and is now a handicraft and pottery centre.   Goring itself is a very attractive village with many traditional style cottages,   and the  church of St Thomas has one of the oldest bells in England which was cast in 1290.   This valley is called the ‘Goring Gap’ and forms a large gap in the Chiltern Hills through which the river flows and due to this geological feature has been used for the construction of railway and motorway routes to the west of England.

BACK