View from boat moorings opposite town on downstream side.
It is not known when the first crossing was constructed on this site but it is likely that some form of bridge was in existence in pre-Roman times. William the Conqueror and his troops used this crossing after being repulsed at London Bridge. He then marched his troops back to London on the north bank of the Thames and was subsequently crowned king in Westminster Abbey on Christmas Day 1066.
The current many-arched bridge dates to the mid 12th century and is 900ft long , the parapet & balustrade being added in 1809.