No 182. Clifton Lockcut Footbridge

The bridge over the lock cut here at Clifton forms part of a network of local footpaths which lead to the two steep hills called Wittenham Clumps on the south side of the river.   These mark the site of an Iron Age hill fort and give a distant view in all directions.   Although it was proposed in 1793, Clifton Lock was not built until 1822 due to the fact that the land was owned by a lunatic and it was presumably difficult to obtain the necessary permissions.   From above this lock and up as far as Oxford the river is traditionally known as Isis.

BACK