This single arch stone bridge was built in 1807 to replace Sutton ferry, the ferryman was apparently paid 24 shillings a month. The village of Sutton was already well established by AD 687 but was given to Richard Courtney by William the Conqueror thus becoming Sutton Courtney. Near the church is a Norman Hall dating from approx. 1190 and there is also a Tudor manor house close by. The village was very important as a river port in the past as road travel was difficult and would be mainly by mule or horse and cart.