This bridge carries the railway line across the Thames at a point of the river which can seem quite remote despite its situationjust a few miles from Abingdon. The south east bank is heavily wooded whilst the other bank is mostly open meadow used for grazing. The lordship od the Manor of Nuneham was owned by the Courtney family until 1710 when it was bought by Lord Harcourt. Much of the old village was demolished at this time and the Palladium Nuneham House was built. A new village was built a little distance away so that the villagers did not loose their homes. Olliver Goldsmith is believed to have based his poem ‘The Deserted Village’ on the events in Nuneham.