No 109. Blackfriars Rail Bridge

View from Upstream side from Blackfriars Road Bridge looking towards the City.

This bridge was built to accommodate the London Chatham & Dover Railway in 1864 when the station was known as St. Paul’s.  It carried 4 tracks which were added to by a second bridge in 1886.   Following the changes in railway access  to London in the 1920s only half the bridge was needed and this removal has resulted in the rather unusual empty red columns which can be seen today.


BACK