No 196. Medley Bridge

This brightly coloured bridge is close to boatyards on both sides of the river and is much used by boaters.   It gives access to the well known Port Meadow which is a popular area for bird watching and is known to have been used as a burial site during the Bronze Age.   It was occupied by the Royalist troops during the Civil War and formed part of the defences of Oxford against Cromwell.

The right of the Freemen of Oxford to graze their livestock here, is recorded in the Domesday book of 1086 and is still exercised to this day.











BACK