This stone bridge crosses the river close to the famous Trout Inn which was originally built in 1138 as part of Godstow nunnery.
Little is left now of the nunnery except a few walls as is was demolished by Cromwell’s New Model Army in 1646.
Upstream from Godstow lies Port Meadow where the landscape becomes much more open.
The meadow is very low lying and is a very popular open space for the residents of Oxford, especially when it is frozen and used for skating.
On the opposite bank is the village of Binsey and St. Margarets well in the churchyard is noted as a place of pilgrimage for those seeking a cure for eye diseases.